What is the role of lymph in my body?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Lymph helps to destroy potentially dangerous bacteria and cancer cells and filter waste and toxins. It is also responsible for working with the circulatory system to help deliver hormones and nutrients to the tissues of the body.

The lymphatic system, which is responsible for lymph flow is a series of vessels and nodes, distributed throughout the body. When this system is disrupted by the destruction of lymph nodes or vessels, swelling can occur. This is called lymphedema and is a common problem for women who have had mastectomy with lymph node removal for breast cancer.

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

A critical part of your immune system, lymph is a straw-colored fluid component of the blood that resembles plasma. It contains white cells but typically no red cells. As blood circulates throughout the body, lymph separates from the blood, seeping out through blood vessels to bathe the body’s tissues, where it picks up bacteria, waste products, toxins, and even random tumor cells. It then brings this cellular debris back to the lymph nodes, which are small round masses of lymphatic tissue located throughout the body. The lymph nodes break down this waste material and dispose of it. (The most commonly known lymph nodes are those in your neck along your jawline. If you have an upper respiratory infection, they may be inflamed, and the doctor may say you have “swollen glands.”)

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Immune System

3 Ways to Boost Your Immune System as You Age
Your immune system is challenged as you age: Your disease-fighting cells declines. Your innate immunity changes—that’s protection provided by your ski...
Can I get vaccinations if I have primary immunodeficiency (PID)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
When you have primary immunodeficiency (PID), your doctor might give you some vaccinations and immun...
How do my body's filtration systems work to keep me healthy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Watch this video to learn how your lymphatic system and kidneys filter blood to protect your health....
Telling the Truth Is Good for Your Health