What happens to my metabolic rate after exercise?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

While exercising at any intensity, your metabolic rate increases, but when you stop exercising, your metabolic rate doesn't return to its normal resting rate immediately. In fact, your resting metabolic rate (RMR) remains elevated -- and thus you continue expending calories at a faster than resting rate -- from several minutes to several hours afterward, even though you're at rest.

The more intense the activity, the greater this postactivity metabolic boost and the longer it takes for your metabolic rate to return to its resting level. One study found that after 30 minutes of very vigorous activity, a postexercise metabolic boost lasts as long as 24 hours or more, providing a significant weight-loss advantage.

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about How The Metabolic Process Works

How do my muscles burn calories?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Your metabolism is partly genetically programmed, but the amount of muscle on your body determines t...
What is the Glycogen-Lactic Acid System?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Muscles have big reserves of glycogen, a complex carbohydrate. Glycogen is a chain of glucose molecu...
What does the term metabolism mean?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Metabolism is the sum of all chemical reactions in the body. This includes both catabolic (breaking ...
How Can I Boost My Metabolism If I'm a Woman Over 40?