Do I need a prescription for homeopathic medications?

Most homeopathic drugs are classified as over-the-counter (OTC) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The labels must contain the word homeopathic, the manufacturer's name, one way the drug can be used, instructions for safety, the active ingredient, and dilution information. Homeopathic drugs that purport to treat a severe disease like cancer would require a doctor's prescription.
Stephen H. Atkins, PhD
Integrative Medicine

You don’t need a prescription for homeopathic medications, but that doesn’t mean you should use them without talking to your doctor. Learn what you should do before trying a homeopathic remedy by watching this video featuring integrative medicine specialist Dr. Stephen Atkins. 

Lisa  Samet, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Homeopathic remedies do not require a prescription; they are sold over the counter and can be found in most health food stores. In this video, naturopathic doctor Lisa Samet, ND, confirms these remedies are easy to seek out.

Continue Learning about Homeopathy

What is a safe dose of a homeopathic remedy for a chronic condition?
National Center for HomeopathyNational Center for Homeopathy
A chronic condition is best treated by a professional homeopathic practitioner. In these cases, the ...
Does homeopathy work like a placebo?
The placebo effect as it may apply to homeopathy is an area of controversy. Proponents will argue th...
Do I Need a Prescription for Homeopathic Medicine?
What Is Homeopathy?
What Is Homeopathy?