What is the duration of HIV?

HIV lasts for a lifetime. If untreated, HIV infection will likely progress to AIDS after a period of time, usually eight to ten years. Proper treatment followed strictly can postpone the advance of the disease for years or even decades, and improve the quality of life for those living with the virus.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
Can You Switch HIV Treatments?
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a chronic but manageable condition—while there is no cure for an HIV infection, there are medications that can s...
How many people with AIDS die each year?
More than 16,000 people with AIDS die each year. The number of people with HIV who get AIDS has dec...
How well does PrEP work?
In several studies of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), people who took the medications consistently ...
Charlie Sheen on HIV: “Why I Need Support”