How long do I have to take PrEP for it to be effective?

Scientists do not yet know how long it takes PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) to become fully effective after you start taking it. Some studies suggest that if you take PrEP every day, it reaches its maximum protection in blood at 20 days, in rectal tissue at about 7 days, and in vaginal tissues at about 20 days.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

Breaking the Stigma: 13 Essential Facts About HIV/AIDS
In 1981, a group of researchers and scientists published a report in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Wee...
What is PrEP?
PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. It consists of a low-dose of antiretroviral medication. An...
What should I ask my doctor about PrEP?
If you are HIV negative but you're worried you may become positive, talk to your doctor about PrEP (...
What Was the Stigma Around HIV/AIDS Back in the 1980s and Early 1990s?