How can I start PrEP?

If you think you may be at increased risk for HIV, ask your health care provider about PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). If you and your provider agree that PrEP might reduce your risk of getting HIV, you will have a physical exam and be tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. Your provider will also order blood tests to see if your kidneys and liver are working well. If these tests show that PrEP medicines are likely to be safe for you to take, your provider may give you a prescription. If you do not have health insurance, your provider can give you information about medication assistance programs that help pay for PrEP for some patients.

While you are taking PrEP, you will need to see your health care provider regularly to be tested for HIV, and to see if your body is reacting well to the PrEP medication. Your provider may also give you counseling on sexual or injection drug use behaviors.

It is important that you take your medicine every day as directed. Your doctor can give you advice about ways to help you take PrEP regularly so that it has the best chance to help you avoid HIV infection. You should tell your provider if you are having trouble remembering to take your medicine or if you want to stop PrEP.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

My Story: Nathaniel and HIV
My Story: Nathaniel and HIV
When Nathaniel was first diagnosed with HIV he wishes he knew there was a whole network of people and caregivers available to help in his journey. His...
Can HIV infection result in peripheral neuropathy and ED?
Among its many other devastating effects, HIV infection is notorious for causing peripheral neuropat...
Why take PrEP?
The purpose of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is to help you avoid becoming infected with HIV. Sinc...
Could I get HIV from donating blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
No. The Red Cross uses a needle only once and then disposes of it. Sterile procedures and disposable...