Why do inguinal hernias require surgical treatment?

Inguinal hernias require surgical treatment because they can lead to serious complications. When intra-abdominal organs such as intestines slip into the hernia, they can get stuck. This is called an incarcerated hernia when the contents won’t easily fall back into the abdomen or can’t be pushed back into the abdomen. When this happens, it can cause a blockage in the intestines and can make a person very sick. If the hernia is untreated, then the blood flow to the herniated intestine can be cut-off. This is called a strangulated hernia and is a surgical emergency. Therefore, it is best to have inguinal hernias repaired prior to any of these complications occurring.

Inguinal hernias do require surgical treatment, as it can enlarge over time.

Inguinal hernias require surgical treatment because they can be dangerous. Inguinal hernias occur due to a weakened area of the abdominal wall. As a result, the intestines may become trapped in the area that has weakened. This is dangerous as it can cut off the blood supply to this area of intestine, requiring urgent surgery to repair. Also, hernias are progressive and will continue to increase in size if not treated.

Continue Learning about Hernia

Got Groin Pain or Swelling? Don’t Ignore It
Do you notice a bulge or have dull pain below the belt? You may assume that you have a pulled muscle, but your symptoms could signal a more serious pr...
What are the symptoms of an inguinal hernia?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The major symptom of an inguinal hernia is a bulge in the groin.
How do I manage my sports hernia on a daily basis?
Resting the abdominal muscles is the first step in managing your sports hernia. Anti-inflammatory me...
What Is a Hernia?
What Is a Hernia?