Why is an inguinal hernia more common in men than in women?

Men develop hernias more than women do because of the way the testicles form, moving down the inguinal canal and creating gaps in the abdominal muscle after birth. Thus, an inguinal hernia is 10 ten times more likely to develop in a man than in a woman.

Continue Learning about Hernia

Got Groin Pain or Swelling? Don’t Ignore It
Do you notice a bulge or have dull pain below the belt? You may assume that you have a pulled muscle, but your symptoms could signal a more serious pr...
What is the recommended treatment for an umbilical hernia?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Umbilical hernias often heal themselves.
How do I manage my sports hernia on a daily basis?
Resting the abdominal muscles is the first step in managing your sports hernia. Anti-inflammatory me...
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?
What Happens to a Hernia in a Baby?