How does a truss increase my risk for complications with my hernia?

A truss cannot be used to treat all hernias. If you are wearing a truss, your risk for an incarcerated or strangulated hernia does increase if the truss has not been fitted properly for your hernia. Wearing a truss for long periods of time increases your risk of developing a hernia complication. Using the wrong type of truss for your hernia and wearing a truss when sleeping may also increase your risk for complications. Do not use a truss to treat a large hernia or in place of hernia surgery. Always talk to your doctor before using a truss to reduce your risk for severe complications that can be life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

Who is a candidate for laparoscopic hernia surgery?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Canidacy for laproscopic hernia surgery depends on a variety of factors including the size of the he...
How are incisional hernias treated?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Incisional hernias result when an incision from a previous surgery causes a weakness in the central ...
How is an early-stage hiatal hernia repaired?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
An early stage hiatal hernia may be repaired by decreasing the size of the enlarged hiatus (the open...
Should all hernias be repaired?
TriStar Greenview Regional HospitalTriStar Greenview Regional Hospital
Hernias always require surgical repair at some point. The only issue is the urgency of the repair. T...