How long will it take me to recover from hernia surgery?

Traditional hernia surgery recovery is one week with pain medications and four to six weeks of no heavy lifting.

If I do an open hernia repair on someone, I’ll usually tell them they can get back to full, normal activities by about four to six weeks. If I do it laparoscopically, I give a recovery time of two to four weeks before you should be completely back to your normal activities.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

How is a hernia treated?
Abdominal wall hernias are treated with surgery to reduce the hernia and repair the abdominal openin...
What can I do to prevent post-hernia surgery complications?
The best way to prevent a complicated hernia such as an incisional or recurrent hernia after surgery...
Can a hernia truss cure a hernia?
A hernia truss cannot cure a hernia. A hernia truss supports the hernia in a manner that prevents it...
How are incisional hernias treated?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Incisional hernias result when an incision from a previous surgery causes a weakness in the central ...