What kind of doctor should I see about my hemorrhoids?

If you're having some of the characteristic symptoms of hemorrhoids - swelling, bleeding, or pain - you may want to visit your regular doctor first. Often, hemorrhoids are mild and can be treated with certain lifestyle changes. If your doctor sees indications of a more complicated case of hemorrhoids or a more serious condition, they may refer you to a specialist like a gastroenterologist or a colon and rectal surgeon.

Continue Learning about Hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids are very common, with half of the US population over 50 having at one time consulted a doctor about these painful, itchy, sometimes bleeding bumps along the anus. They are bunches of enlarged veins, external ones that ...

you feel as bumps or internal ones that occasionally protrude through the rectum. If you strain frequently, perhaps due to constipation, or lift heavy weights you may cause them. Typical symptoms include bright red blood drops. They can make it hurt to clean properly after a bowel movement. Increasing fiber and fluid intake can help prevent hemorrhoids. Minor hemorrhoids may be treated with lubrication and use of stool softeners. Doctors may use an instrument to put rubber bands around them to make them clot or fall off, inject them with a clotting agent, use infrared light to heat clot, or surgery for removal.