How does chemotherapy treat myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases?

Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases are often treated with chemotherapy. Busulphan, hydroxyurea, etoposide, and 6-mercaptourine are used in the management of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Atypical chronic myelogenous leukemia may be treated with busulphan or hydroxyurea. These drugs work by targeting cells that are growing and dividing too quickly. While chemotherapeutic agents can be toxic to many cells in your body, they are especially toxic to the rapidly dividing cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
Maintain Your Emotional Well-Being During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Multiple myeloma is a treatable disease, but not, at this point, a curable one. Even entry into remission doesn’t signal the end of worries and concer...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hematologic cancer?
Caring for people with hematologic cancer involves helping them deal with the effects of the cancer ...
What are the treatment options for hematologic cancer?
The treatment of hematologic cancers depends on the type of cancer, its location, and its extent of ...