How long can a heart survive after being removed from a donor's body?

After removal from a donor's body, a heart can survive just about four hours.

Here's a closer look at some of the statistics involving heart transplants:

• The number of people added to the heart transplant list from July 2006 to June 2007: 3,011
  • The total number of people who were on the heart waiting list as of June 2007: 2,673
  • The number of transplants from deceased donors from July 2006 to June 2007: 2,224
  • The mortality rate for people while awaiting a heart: 15 percent

Continue Learning about Heart Transplant

How is heart transplant surgery performed?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
When a donor organ becomes available, patients must proceed to the hospital immediately. Upon admiss...
What support will I need during my heart transplant process?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
No matter where you are in the transplant process, you will not have to face your concerns alone. So...
How Many Heart Transplants Do You Perform a Year?
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?