Who is a candidate for aortic valve replacement?

A person with an aortic valve that is severely diseased or dysfunctional, meaning the valves can fail, is a candidate for aortic valve replacement. In fact, the basis of consideration of getting a valve replacement is determined on if the valve is severely dysfunctional and doesn’t open and/or close properly. Valves function like a doorway, and all the aortic valve does is open up and close so that the blood goes in where it should and in the direction that it should. The aortic valve is the last doorway before the blood leaves the left side of the heart. It's sort of a big, main pumping chamber for the entire body other than the lungs. If the valve isn't opening correctly, you can imagine what a problem that would cause for people. If the valve doesn't close normally, then when the blood gets ejected out of the heart, a lot of it can regurgitate or leak backwards. Another thing to consider during valve replacement is whether the dysfunctional valve is causing somebody symptoms or a problem that disrupt everyday activities, such as not feeling well or difficulty breathing. The other thing that can happen is the body can fill up with fluid, causing heart failure. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

How should I monitor my recovery at home after open heart surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some ways to monitor your recovery at home after open heart surgery:Temperature: You may be...
Who will be on my surgical team for open heart surgery?
Each person on your surgical team has an important role to play:A cardiovascular surgeon is a doctor...
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)?