Heart Surgeries

Can I have bypass surgery if I have a stent?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered
    It isn't uncommon to get an artery-opening stent after undergoing bypass surgery or to have bypass surgery after getting a stent.

If a person has had a stent placed in a coronary artery, it might not be possible to connect a bypass graft directly into the part of the artery where the stent lies. The graft could, though, be placed farther "downstream" from the stent, or in another part of the coronary artery tree.

Although most coronary artery bypass grafts work fine, some narrow or close up over time. Balloon angioplasty is often used to reopen the grafted artery, and a stent then placed to hold it open. Bypass surgery doesn't halt atherosclerosis, the disease process that clogs coronary arteries, and it is common for bypass recipients to develop narrowings in other arteries. Angioplasty with stent placement can be used to open these blockages.
Who is a candidate for aortic valve replacement?