Can I have bypass surgery if I have a stent?

Najam Javeed, MD
Bypass surgery is possible after getting a stent. Najam Javeed, MD from Medical Center of Trinity speaks more on this in this video.
Isaac George, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
You can have bypass surgery if you have a stent. Having a stent still allows you to have open heart surgery in the future.
Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
It isn't uncommon to get an artery-opening stent after undergoing bypass surgery or to have bypass surgery after getting a stent.

If a person has had a stent placed in a coronary artery, it might not be possible to connect a bypass graft directly into the part of the artery where the stent lies. The graft could, though, be placed farther "downstream" from the stent, or in another part of the coronary artery tree.

Although most coronary artery bypass grafts work fine, some narrow or close up over time. Balloon angioplasty is often used to reopen the grafted artery, and a stent then placed to hold it open. Bypass surgery doesn't halt atherosclerosis, the disease process that clogs coronary arteries, and it is common for bypass recipients to develop narrowings in other arteries. Angioplasty with stent placement can be used to open these blockages.
Harvard Medical School Heart Disease: A guide to preventing and treating coronary artery disease

Most people who develop heart disease at least 8 in every 10 have one or more major risk factors that are within their power to change. These include lack of exercise, high blood pressure, and...

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Heart Surgeries

Heart Surgeries

More than a half million surgeries are done each year to correct heart problems in children and adults. One of the most common types of heart surgery performed is coronary artery bypass grafting, which uses a blood vessel taken fr...

om another part of the body to bypass a blocked artery and help prevent a heart attack. Another is heart valve replacement, used to repair heart valves that don't open and close properly. Heart surgery can be minimally invasive, such as when a small incision is made to the chest to insert a pacemaker. At the other extreme is open-heart surgery, which requires a large incision to the chest to open the rib cage and operate on the heart. Learn more about the different kinds of heart surgeries with expert advice from Sharecare.