How is deep indentation of my leg associated with heart failure?

The deep indentation on your leg that you are describing may be a condition called pitting edema. In addition the smothering feeling and the phlegm may be signs that the furosemide is not enough to help pull the excess fluid out of your body at this time. These can all be signs or symptoms that your heart failure is becoming worse. You need to make an appointment with your physician as soon as possible. It is common in worsening heart failure to almost feel like you are drowning from within. This does not need to be a permanent feeling. You need to see your doctor as quickly as you can. If you are having extreme difficulty breathing and you cannot get to see the doctor right away you need to go to the nearest hospital emergency room so that they can more aggressively treat your symptoms. Once your symptoms are more under control you could ask your physician for a referral to a dietician. Simple dietary changes can help to keep heart failure under better control."

Continue Learning about Heart Failure Symptoms

how long does it take for a heart attack to lead to heart failure ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Within six years of a heart attack, more than 20 percent of men will develop heart failure, accordin...
what are the symptoms of left-sided heart failure ?
Symptoms for left-sided heart failure include fatigue, weakness, and shortness of breath. Left-sided...
how are swollen legs and feet associated with heart failure ?
Linda RohyansLinda Rohyans
If you have heart failure, your legs and feet may swell. Swelling often occurs because your heart ca...
how should i talk to my doctor about my heart failure symptoms ?
Linda RohyansLinda Rohyans
Your doctor and health care team are experts at what they do. This does not mean you should feel int...