How is deep indentation of my leg associated with heart failure?

The deep indentation on your leg that you are describing may be a condition called pitting edema. In addition the smothering feeling and the phlegm may be signs that the furosemide is not enough to help pull the excess fluid out of your body at this time. These can all be signs or symptoms that your heart failure is becoming worse. You need to make an appointment with your physician as soon as possible. It is common in worsening heart failure to almost feel like you are drowning from within. This does not need to be a permanent feeling. You need to see your doctor as quickly as you can. If you are having extreme difficulty breathing and you cannot get to see the doctor right away you need to go to the nearest hospital emergency room so that they can more aggressively treat your symptoms. Once your symptoms are more under control you could ask your physician for a referral to a dietician. Simple dietary changes can help to keep heart failure under better control."
Jennifer H. Haythe, MD
When the legs are swollen in heart failure, people can sometimes press into their skin and leave fingermarks. However, this can be seen in other settings as well such as in later stages of pregnancy, in liver disease/cirrhosis and with simple venous insufficiency. 

Continue Learning about Heart Failure Symptoms

What are symptoms of heart failure with atrial fibrillation?
Richard J. Shemin, MDRichard J. Shemin, MD
Atrial fibrillation is an arrhythmia where the upper cardiac chambers no longer contract. This reduc...
How should I talk to my doctor about my heart failure symptoms?
Linda RohyansLinda Rohyans
Your doctor and health care team are experts at what they do. This does not mean you should feel int...
What are the symptoms of heart failure?
Heart failure often comes on gradually with increasing shortness of breath, especially with activity...
What Is Congestion in Congestive Heart Failure?