How is the flow of saliva stimulated?

Chewing is the most efficient way to stimulate salivary flow by causing muscles to compress the salivary glands and release saliva. Through internal feedback mechanisms the taste and consistency of food also affect the quantity of saliva produced. It is difficult to exhaust the salivary glands, so chewing throughout the day to maintain stimulated salivary flow is possible.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What gum and dental problems can I face with aging?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Taking care of your teeth and gums by brushing, flossing, and getting regular cleaning and checkup i...
How can I prevent damage to my teeth?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Here are some tips to prevent damage to your teeth and maintain a healthy mouth: See an orthodon...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health