How do I know my gums are healthy?

Healthy gums help serve as an anchor to keep your teeth in place. If your gums are pink (not red) and don't bleed when you brush or floss, those are good signs. Gums that are unhealthy can be red or swollen or tender, but not always. During your dental visit, your dentist or hygienist will perform a periodontal exam by using a periodontal probe to gently measure the depth of the pockets surrounding each tooth. When teeth are healthy, the pocket dept is usually 3 millimeters or less. Generally, the more severe the disease, the deeper the pocket.

It's important to realize that you can have periodontal disease and not know it; that's why regular dental visits and periodontal exams are so important. If caught early enough, it can be reversed with treatment in the dental office and good oral care at home.
You will know if your gums are health by their color and texture. In addition to being pale pink in color, healthy gums will hold tight to each tooth and feel smooth and scalloped in appearance. Healthy gums have a firm texture that is resistant to movement and to normal brushing or probing. Your gums should not bleed when they are brushed or cleaned.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Can a mother's dental problems be passed on to her children?
Mothers can pass on dental problems to their children. Other factors that might contribute to the ri...
What causes an impacted tooth?
If there is not enough room for a tooth to erupt into the mouth it will become impacted. This is a v...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?