Why should I take care of my teeth if I am undergoing cancer treatment?

During cancer therapy, whether surgery, radiation or chemotherapy, poor oral hygiene leads to growth of oral bacteria. This can initiate dental caries (cavities) and periodontal disease (gum infection). This causes pain and possibly the loss of teeth.
The lining of your mouth and throat is composed of rapidly growing cells that are very sensitive to cancer treatment, infection, poor protein or fluid intake, or alcohol/tobacco use. Good mouth care is important while you are being treated in order to reduce your risk of infections.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

how should i care for my teeth on a daily basis ?
The best way to care for your teeth on a daily basis is by brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled...
are electric toothbrushes better than manual ones ?
Perhaps no dental debate is more hotly contested than the power vs. manual toothbrush discussion. Ev...
why is brushing your teeth each day important for your overall health ?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The mouth is the gateway to the body, says Dante Gonzales, DMD. In this video he explains how the he...
how does stress affect oral health ?
Stress can contribute to teeth grinding or bruxism, enamel wear, jaw soreness, transmandibular disor...