Why should I take care of my teeth if I am undergoing cancer treatment?

The lining of your mouth and throat is composed of rapidly growing cells that are very sensitive to cancer treatment, infection, poor protein or fluid intake, or alcohol/tobacco use. Good mouth care is important while you are being treated in order to reduce your risk of infections.
During cancer therapy, whether surgery, radiation or chemotherapy, poor oral hygiene leads to growth of oral bacteria. This can initiate dental caries (cavities) and periodontal disease (gum infection). This causes pain and possibly the loss of teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I freshen my breath after eating garlic?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Eating fresh garlic is a wonderful health habit that can help to strengthen your immune system, but ...
What are the complications of plaque and tartar?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Plaque is the smile's #1 enemy. It is a sticky film of bacteria that covers the teeth. After you eat...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth