What is a self-examination for dental plaque?

Dental plaque is an "unhealthy expression" of the oral biofilm that is an essential and protective bacterial community in the mouth that also aids in digestion and is an essential part of the salivary immune system. An imbalance in the oral biofilm causes a change in its consistency from thin and odorless, to a thicker, sticky and smelly film which has been commonly called dental plaque. While a number of diagnostic products such as disclosing tablets, solutions and swabs can be used to illustrate its presence in the mouth, the most important consideration is how to restore the oral biofilm to a balanced state (microbial homeostasis) which reverses the unhealthy condition and restores the biofilm to its thin odorless and disease resistant state. This important modulation occurs through a more alkaline diet and the elimination of harsh and disturbing oral care products that were designed to "kill plaque" which is not recognized as an ineffectual and potentially harmful approach.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
Can I add years to my life by taking care of my teeth?
Heart disease can be caused by not flossing your teeth - how many years can you add to your life by ...
Can toothpaste whiten my teeth?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Toothpaste and brushing and flossing can help remove stain that is on the outside of the enamel of t...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?