What is a powered toothbrush?

A powered toothbrush is one where the brush creates spinning or circular motion through batter or electronic power. You can just touch the brush and toothpaste to the teeth, and the brush will do some of the work for you. Oftentimes these toothbrushes are programmed to run for two minutes, the amount of time you should brush. Some play music or flash light to help pass the time.

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics

The right kind of toothbrush can remove twice as much plaque as the kind you may be using now. In this video, dentist and prosthodontist Jonathan Levine, DMD, explains.

A powered toothbrush is one that uses electricity or battery power to move its bristles. You can clean your teeth equally well with a manual or a powered toothbrush. However, there is some evidence that people brush longer when they use powered toothbrushes, thereby removing more bacteria and food particles that can cause tooth decay.
A powered toothbrush refers to a toothbrush that is battery or electrically powered. Different from a manual toothbrush, a powered toothbrush moves in a circular motion around your teeth so that you do not have to make the motion on your own. Many believe that a powered toothbrush does a better job at cleaning your teeth than a manual. In general, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing twice a day regardless of what kind of toothbrush you have. Approved powered and manual toothbrushes will have the ADA Seal of Acceptance. This seal shows that the product is safe and effective in tooth cleaning.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What are the complications of plaque and tartar?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Plaque is the smile's #1 enemy. It is a sticky film of bacteria that covers the teeth. After you eat...
What are oral plaque-disclosing tablets?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Plaque-disclosing tablets, sold over the counter, are used after brushing and flossing. They produce...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?