What are the benefits of using mouthwash?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Mouthwash can be great when used on healthy teeth. In this video Dante Gonzales, DMD, says you should avoid mouthwashes with alcohol and continue your brushing and flossing routine.
Mouth rinses are used for a variety of reasons: to freshen breath, to help prevent or control tooth decay, to reduce plaque (a thin film of bacteria that forms on teeth), to prevent or reduce gingivitis (an early stage of gum disease), to reduce the speed that tartar (hardened plaque) forms on the teeth, or to produce a combination of these effects. Be sure to look for the ADA Seal of Acceptance when choosing an alcohol free rinse.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I avoid teeth stains?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigment...
What increases the risk of developing plaque and tartar?
Dr. Devon V. Berry, DMDDr. Devon V. Berry, DMD
Plaque and tartar build up is unique to every individual. Diet is an important contributor. In gener...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?