A Answers (8)
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answeredIn general, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing twice a day regardless of what kind of toothbrush you have. They also recommend that you use fluoride toothpaste when you brush your teeth. Approved dental products will have the ADA Seal of Acceptance. This seal shows that the product is safe and effective in tooth cleaning.
American Dental Association answered
For a healthy mouth and smile the ADA recommends you:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
- Make sure to use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
Of course, brushing your teeth is only a part of a complete oral care routine. You should also make sure to:
- Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner. Tooth decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
Nobody wants a scuzzy smile! In this video, dentist and Dr. Oz Show guest Jonathan B. Levine explains how often people should brush their teeth and how they should do it.
Dr. Jonathan B. Levine, DMD, Dentist, answered
Plaque can damage your teeth faster than you probably realize. In this video, dentist and prosthodontist Jonathan Levine, DMD, explains how to protect yourself.
If you can brush your teeth after each meal or snack that would be fantastic, but often is not realistic. At the very least, brush your teeth twice daily for two minutes and floss with the night brushing.
RealAge answeredThe American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Always use a toothpaste that contains fluoride -- a mineral that helps prevent tooth decay -- and floss your teeth once a day to remove bacteria and food particles between teeth that toothbrush bristles can't reach.
Dr. Dante Gonzales, DMD, Dentist, answeredYou should brush your teeth at least twice per day and use a fluoride toothpaste. The fluoride in the toothpaste will help reminerlize your teeth and help prevent tooth decay. In addition, you should floss once per day to clean the areas between the teeth where the toothbrush cannot reach.
The American Dental Association recommends for the average person brushing your teeth twice a day, and flossing once a day.