How can I avoid teeth stains?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
To avoid teeth stains:
  • Have a glass of water nearby when you're drinking wine or coffee. After every few sips, take one sip of the water and swish it around in your mouth. That will help keep the staining pigments from lingering.
  • Whenever possible, brush your teeth soon after a meal if any of its components was staining.
  • Give extra attention to the areas between your teeth; that's where stains tend to secure themselves and build up over time.
  • Never skip bedtime brushing after a staining meal. You've already allowed ample time for the pigments to make themselves at home. Waiting until the next morning is as good as putting a finishing topcoat over the stains.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.
You can avoid developing stains on your teeth by brushing your teeth after every meal, rinsing your mouth with water after having wine or coffee, and getting regular teeth cleanings. Intrinsic stains, which are caused by damage to a nerve or blood vessel in the tooth, can sometimes be avoided by having root canal treatment before the tooth has a chance to decay and darken.

Drinking things with a straw can help to minimize staining. However, when not drinking with a straw try keeping the drink on your tongue and not on your teeth. Sipping water in between will also help to minimize staining. Rinsing your mouth with water shortly after can also help to reduce the staining. Brushing your teeth about 30mins after consumption will also help to reduce the staining. 

There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigments, as they have the greatest potential to stain teeth. Teas, coffee and red wine have high stain potential. Of course, smoking and chewing tobaccos may be the worst tooth staining offenders and they are known to be serious health risks.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What are the benefits of tongue cleaning?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Brushing your tongue helps keep your mouth healthy. This removes any excess plaque and odor causing ...
How can I take better care of my teeth?
Regular dental checkups, professional teeth cleanings and periodontal screenings are important to de...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?