How does my nose protect me from infections?

The nose is the body's first line of defense against airborne invaders, so it should come as no surprise that there are colonies of germs living inside the nasal cavity. For the most part, bacteria and debris don't get very far into the body because there is a very efficient protective mechanism inside the nose. Tiny hairs called cilia move ever so slightly to snare and trap what they can in mucous-coated hairs, keeping anything from reaching the breathing passages and gaining access to the bloodstream.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

Healthy Nose

Healthy Nose

Most nose problems happen in cold weather when the air you breathe is dry indoor air. Symptoms can be a nosebleed, dry nasal passages and sinuses, coughing and nasal congestion. Many treatments, including the use of chicken soup a...

s a congestion cure, have developed over centuries. An additional treatment option is the use of nasal sprays to keep your nasal passages open. If you're bothered by a constantly congested nose, you may want to see an otolaryngologist.