How does my nose protect me from infections?

The nose is the body's first line of defense against airborne invaders, so it should come as no surprise that there are colonies of germs living inside the nasal cavity. For the most part, bacteria and debris don't get very far into the body because there is a very efficient protective mechanism inside the nose. Tiny hairs called cilia move ever so slightly to snare and trap what they can in mucous-coated hairs, keeping anything from reaching the breathing passages and gaining access to the bloodstream.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

Why are boogers sticky?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Obviously, your child is starting a long and brilliant scientific career with this question!"Boogers...
How can I avoid infecting my “triangle of death"?
Your “triangle of death” extends from the corners of the mouth to the bridge of the nose and is susc...
What is balloon sinuplasty?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Many allergy sufferers also end up fighting chronic sinusitis. This happens because the paranasal si...
If you stop smoking can the hair cells in the nose grow back?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Hair cells in the nose don’t grow back after patients stop smoking. Watch sinus surgeon Alen Cohen, ...