How does my nose protect me from infections?

The nose is the body's first line of defense against airborne invaders, so it should come as no surprise that there are colonies of germs living inside the nasal cavity. For the most part, bacteria and debris don't get very far into the body because there is a very efficient protective mechanism inside the nose. Tiny hairs called cilia move ever so slightly to snare and trap what they can in mucous-coated hairs, keeping anything from reaching the breathing passages and gaining access to the bloodstream.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

How long is the balloon sinuplasty procedure effective?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Ninety percent of patients who undergo a balloon sinuplasty procedure only need it once. In this vid...
What is surgical septoplasty?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A surgical septoplasty is useful for realignment of the midline structures of the internal nose. The...
Why are boogers sticky?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Obviously, your child is starting a long and brilliant scientific career with this question!"Boogers...
Where is the “triangle of death” on my face?
Humans just can't seem to keep their hands off their faces. They are committed to plucking and poppi...