How fast do nails grow?

Fingernails -- which, incidentally, grow faster than toenails and grow faster over the summer than over the winter -- lengthen about one-tenth of a millimeter a day, which means that it takes a fingernail about four to six months to fully grow out.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Each of your nails grows at a different rate -- your toenails grow slower than your finger nails, for instance, and the nails on your middle fingers typically grow faster than the others. On average, your nails grow about 0.004 inches (0.1 millimeters) each day.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

Should I worry if my toenails stop growing?
Nail growth can be affected by disease or illness, your diet, medications you take, and the natu...
How do I get my child to stop picking at her nails?
It can be difficult to coax a child to drop a habit like picking her nails. Sometimes kids abandon s...
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?
Why Do People Bite Their Nails?