How does age affect nail health?

Nail disorders become more common as people age. Some mild conditions, such as brittle nails, can be a result of the normal aging process. Other normal changes you may see with aging include:
  • yellow and opaque coloring
  • thickened and hardened nails
  • more frequent ingrown toenails
Nail conditions also can be symptoms of serious chronic illness or a nutritional deficiency, which are more common in people who are older. Experts encourage people who notice a significant change in their nail health to discuss it with their doctor. 
Poor nail health is more common in people who are older. This is because nails become thicker when people are older. Thicker nails are more likely to become infected. They can also become more brittle, and the risk of ingrown toenails becomes higher. In addition, some conditions that affect circulation, such as diabetes, can occur more often in people who are older, which decreases sensitivity and leads to greater chance of injury. The use of medications also increases in older people, and some (including minocycline, chloroquine, zidovudine, and bleomycin) may cause nail discoloration; retinoids like isotretinoin may cause nails to become more brittle. Nails grow slower with age, and may become discolored. All of these conditions can contribute to poor nail health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What are the main characteristics of poor nail health?
Poor nail health can cause a number of changes to your nails, from small white spots to dark, de...
What is the best way to clip my nails?
Clipping the nails properly is important for the health of the nail and skin around it. Learn mo...
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?