How should I care for my toenails?

You should keep your toenails short, dry, and clean by trimming the nails straight across (you can file down the thickened areas). This will help prevent bacteria from collecting under the nail. Opposed to your teeth, where you don't want to see flat surfaces, toenails were designed to be cut flat. You can use a small emery board or file to smooth off the sharp edges. After bathing, make sure you dry your feet well (even between your toes) to prevent fungi from being attracted to moist areas. If your toenails are thick and hard to cut, soak them in warm salt water (add one teaspoon of salt for every pint of water) for five to 10 minutes. Then apply a cream made with urea (available at drug stores). That should soften them up enough to cut. Use the industrial strength nail cutters -- weak ones can split the nails.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What are the main characteristics of poor nail health?
Poor nail health can be indicated by several factors. Nails that are not healthy may be dented or ri...
What home remedies are there for healthy nails?
Several home remedies can help keep nails well hydrated and flexible and can correct problems su...
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?