question

How do lifestyle choices affect weight?

Marisa Moore
Marisa Moore on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer

Lifestyle choices make a big difference in your ability to manage your weight. While it may seem trivial, taking the stairs over the elevator helps tone your thighs and burns more calories. If your job is sedentary, you burn fewer calories than those who are on their feet all day. Maintaining a stressful lifestyle full of long days at work in front of a computer screen, burgers and fries for dinner, no exercise and poor sleep habits can lead to difficulty managing your weight and an increased risk for chronic diseases. All of these seemingly little things add up to significant differences in mind and body at the end of the year.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How to Rewire Your Brain to Love Healthy Habits
It’s like clockwork: Every day you eat a cookie at the same time. Or you park yourself on the couch and turn on the TV after dinner. You don’t even th...
Finding, Forgiving and Holding on to Hope
On an everyday basis we use the word hope fairly casually. We say, “I hope that it’s sunny tomorrow” or “I hope you have a nice day.” But when we feel...
Why are the benefits of teaching my child good habits?
The benefits of making good behaviors automatic are enormous. Learn more from our experts about the...
Your Holiday Shopping Guide for Safe, Non-Toxic Gifts
Your Holiday Shopping Guide for Safe, Non-Toxic GiftsYour Holiday Shopping Guide for Safe, Non-Toxic GiftsYour Holiday Shopping Guide for Safe, Non-Toxic GiftsYour Holiday Shopping Guide for Safe, Non-Toxic Gifts
Find fun, affordable gifts—minus the hidden chemicals that could put loved ones’ health at risk. In the rush of the holiday season, finding the perfe...