How can helping others help me live longer?

Almost every study of longevity indicates that helping others makes people healthier and happier. Some research shows a 60 percent decrease in mortality figures among those who help others; they're aided by what's called the "helper's high." Specifically, it's the dignity, the joy, the passion, and the purpose of helping others - whether it's helping another person quit smoking, or building a person in need a home, or mentoring a child at school - that have these beneficial effects.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Finding, Forgiving and Holding on to Hope
On an everyday basis we use the word hope fairly casually. We say, “I hope that it’s sunny tomorrow” or “I hope you have a nice day.” But when we feel...
How can I become more motivated to improve my lifestyle?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
The key to motivation is a sense of control over what you are doing, when you are doing it and where...
10 Bad Habits That Age You
10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You
Avoid these everyday mistakes that can make your RealAge older. Who doesn’t want to look and feel younger? But there’s a chance that the decisions you...
How Can a Stress Journal Help Me Identify Stressors?