What are some tips for selecting fresh produce?

Cheryl Tallman
We all know buying fresh is best, but when it comes to shopping for fresh produce, it is not always easiest. In fact, it is a little tricky and can be time consuming. Here are a few of our secrets to shopping smart for the fresh stuff in the produce aisle.

Buy produce that is in season: Foods that are in season are at the peak of freshness, flavor, and affordability. If you don’t know if an item is in season, ask the producer manager.

Buy locally grown produce: Even the big grocery stores buy local produce, and you can also buy local produce at the farmers' market or straight from the farm. Depending on where you live, transportation from the farm to the market takes quite a long time and often does the most damage to produce.

Buy produce that is on special: An item on special moves much faster off the shelf than other items. Faster moving items are fresher than slower moving items, because they are ordered and restocked more frequently.

Use your senses: Smell it, look at it, and feel it. Not all produce has brilliant aroma, but none of it should ever smell moldy or mildewed. Fresh produce should not be shriveled or have soft spots or bruises. Colors should be vibrant and pleasant. Bagged and packaged items should be free of mold and liquids.

When in doubt -- just ask: The produce manager is knowledgeable and often very helpful. There is nothing wrong with asking when an item arrived at the store or seeking their advice on how to tell if an item is ripe. If he’s not around, don't be shy -- ask another customer for an opinion. They’re usually more than willing to share with you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Why the Economy Is Making You Fat and How to Reverse It
The new economic reality seems to go like this: The numbers you want to go up go down (housing prices, your bank balance), while the ones you want to ...
How can I better organize my refrigerator?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
The first thing to do is to take everything out of the refrigerator. Wash it thoroughly with soap an...
Freshest Farmers' Market Picks
Freshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market Picks
Add these fresh, local choices to your favorite recipes this summer.
How Do I Ensure That I Follow the Right Diet for a Healthy Life?