What should I look for when buying supermarket meat?

Gone is the time when you bought your meat from a butcher who specialized in all things carnivorous and knew how to safely handle meat. Nowadays, more and more supermarkets act like small meat-processing plants without the licensing, training, and oversight required of actual meat-packing vendors. They may not ensure that meat and chicken is tightly sealed, isolated from cross contamination, and stored at the right temperature, leaving them open to bacterial growth. Beyond that, stores are allowed to pump carbon monoxide into meat packaging, which although not harmful, gives the meat a fresh appearance no matter how long it's been sitting on the shelf.

Eat meat within two to three days of getting it home, or freeze it right away. Know the difference between the sell-by and the use-by dates. Use-by dates are federally mandated, but sell-by dates are set arbitrarily by the store and are not a good indicator of freshness.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Why the Economy Is Making You Fat and How to Reverse It
The new economic reality seems to go like this: The numbers you want to go up go down (housing prices, your bank balance), while the ones you want to ...
What is the healthiest way to eat red peppers?
Red peppers are high in vitamin C, which is a water-soluble nutrient. By cooking or boiling red ...
7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories
7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories
A hearty, home-cooked meal was never simpler. When another chilly evening rolls around, it feels comforting to serve up a warm, hearty and delicious m...
How Should I Cook with Oil When Preparing Healthy Meals?