Why should I pick my own produce?

One of my favorite activities is going into local farm fields to pick my own produce. Strawberries, blueberries, apples, corn, cherries, peaches … somewhere within driving distance there is a farm that will let you pick what you love. What’s so great about picking your own? I’ll give you 10 reasons.

1. Zero waste. You can take your own containers. Beach buckets, regular buckets, boxes, anything that will hold the produce will do. The pick-your-own farm should be able to weigh your container before you begin to pick so you don’t pay for the weight of your container.
  2. It's less expensive. I can pick pounds of strawberries for about half the price of going into the little market right on the farm and buying them already picked.
  3. It’s the freshest, best-tasting produce. You can pick food that is perfectly ripe and eat it that day. You can also pick exactly which fruits or vegetables you want and make sure there’s not an unripe one in the bunch.
  4. It's educational. You and your kids (if you have them) can learn things. Ask the farm workers why the strawberry patch has moved from the past year or how they know when to bring the workers in to strip the patch clean because the growing season is done.
  5. You’ll connect with where your food comes from. If you don’t have your own garden, going to a farm and picking your own is a good reminder that food comes from hard work and grows in dirt. It’s a great lesson for kids, too.
  6. You'll support small farmers. It's not the big, agribusiness farms that invite locals to come pick. It's the small, family owned farms. They need our support.
  7. It's fun.
  8. It's good exercise.
  9. You can take awesome photos. Every year I get the best photos of my family in the strawberry, apple or pumpkin fields.
  10. You’ll have plenty to share. When I get home from the farmers market with a small pint of farm fresh strawberries, I’m not likely to give them away. But when I come home with 14 pounds of strawberries, I get in the mood to bake and share with neighbors.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Healthy-Up Your Burger
Healthy-Up Your Burger
A tart cherry pie may be an Independence Day cookout favorite, but save a few of those sour red beauties for your burgers, too. It may sound strange,...
What are some healthy winter dishes?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Casseroles, stews and soups: These are all good ways in cool weather to sneak more nutrition int...
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
Eating nutritiously doesn’t have to break the bank. 
Drink OJ for a Better Workout
Drink OJ for a Better Workout