How can I eat more fruits and vegetables in summer?

Doreen Rodo

Summer is the best time to eat more fruits and vegetables because there are many in-seasons. Start by choosing favorite fruits, spices and vegetables at the supermarket or farmers market. Include a fruit at breakfast-mix with low-fat yogurt or add to cereal. At lunch and/or supper include a healthy salad with an olive oil/vinegar dressing (experiment with adding some fresh spices or lemon juice to increase flavor). Snack on some berries, melon or your favorite fruit. Take the time to find some grilled vegetable recipes and make extra so you can have them for lunch the next day. Fruit cobblers and crisps make great desserts, but make with a healthier margarine such as Smart Balance.

Summer is a great time for finding fresh fruits and vegetables at your local farmer's market or grocery store. With such a variety of choices, it can be easy to include fruits and vegetables into every meal, helping you get the recommended five servings every day. Here are a few ideas:
  • Breakfast: Add peaches into a breakfast smoothie, top off cereal with cherries or add summer squash into a scramble.
  • Lunch: Eat an apple or pear as a side dish, top off a salad of dark leafy greens with fish or chicken or stack your sandwich with tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce.
  • Dinner: Throw beets, asparagus or corn on the grill, make a stir fry with a medley of in-season vegetables, start off your meal with a cold vegetable soup or try pureeing fruits and vegetables to use as a sauce.
When you include fruits and vegetables to your every day, you add a wealth of nutrients and flavor.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Superfood Spotlight: Leafy Greens
Superfood Spotlight: Leafy Greens
Ever wondered why a dish prepared with spinach is said to be “Florentine?” Well, it’s because Catherine de Medici, who was from Florence, was a fan of...
What foods should I avoid if I want a healthy diet?
The first step to getting on the path to better eating is to take stock of your pantry. Dr. Mehmet O...
Freshest Farmers' Market Picks
Freshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market PicksFreshest Farmers' Market Picks
Add these fresh, local choices to your favorite recipes this summer.
What Kitchen Tools Can I Purchase to Help Prepare Healthier Meals?