What are some examples of a serving of grains and other starches?

Some sample servings (portions) of grains and other starches are:
  • 1 slice of 100% whole grain bread
  • ½ cup cooked brown rice, bulgur, barley, or millet
  • ½ cup whole grain cereal or cooked oatmeal
  • ½ cup cooked whole wheat pasta or whole wheat couscous
  • 6 whole grain crackers
  • 3 cups air-popped popcorn
  • ½ cup corn
Manuel Villacorta
As a general rule, the serving size for one grains and starches (G&S) portion is one-half cup of cooked pasta, rice, starchy vegetable, or any other grain. A single serving for cold cereals is three-quarters of a cup, and for breads it is about one ounce or usually one slice.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Michael Moore’s movie, Where to Invade Next, shows the filmmaker “invading” other countries to seize their solutions to social problems for use here a...
What factors affect how much I should eat?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
How much you should eat -- at one sitting or in your whole day -- depends on several factors. It...
How do I get ten servings per day of fruits and vegetables?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Some easy tips for reaching the ten-servings-a-day goal for fruits and vegetables include:Buy many k...
How Can I Feed a Large Family In an Easy and Healthy Way?