What are benefits of gardening for children?

Gardening with children can be a powerful nutrition lesson. Kids get to learn where food comes from, how to grow it properly and, best of all, kids tend to eat (or at least try) what they grow.

The National Gardening Association, which provides support to community and school gardening programs, surveyed garden program leaders and found kids improve in the following characteristics:
  • Environmental attitudes: 94%
  • Self-confidence: 90%
  • Social skills: 90%
  • Attitude towards school: 86%
  • Community spirit: 84%
  • Leadership skills: 81%
  • Volunteerism: 78%
  • Nutritional attitudes: 69%
  • Scholastic achievement: 67%
  • Motor skills: 63%

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

How to Get Healthier Food in School Cafeterias
By the time he graduated from Hogwarts, Harry Potter had battled a never-ending-array of evil forces. But those confrontations are nothing compared to...
How can I improve my child's eating habits?
Denise Miccoli, NASM Elite TrainerDenise Miccoli, NASM Elite Trainer
It is beyond worth it to address and change your child's eating habits and perhaps put up with the s...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?