What are benefits of gardening for children?

Gardening with children can be a powerful nutrition lesson. Kids get to learn where food comes from, how to grow it properly and, best of all, kids tend to eat (or at least try) what they grow.

The National Gardening Association, which provides support to community and school gardening programs, surveyed garden program leaders and found kids improve in the following characteristics:
  • Environmental attitudes: 94%
  • Self-confidence: 90%
  • Social skills: 90%
  • Attitude towards school: 86%
  • Community spirit: 84%
  • Leadership skills: 81%
  • Volunteerism: 78%
  • Nutritional attitudes: 69%
  • Scholastic achievement: 67%
  • Motor skills: 63%

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Why You Should Talk to Your Kids About Unhealthy Food Ads
In 1955, when James Dean starred in Rebel Without a Cause, he made teen angst and defiance cool for a whole generation of kids. Well, now researchers ...
Should I make my kids eat foods they don't like?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
Research shows us that it can take some time for kid’s taste buds to kick in, so instead of throwing...
5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch
5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?