Should I make my child clean his plate?

Don't make your child clean his plate or bowl if he's full, instead save leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Portion sizes depend on the age, gender and activity level of the individual.
Never say “Clean your plate!” This old parental guilt trip can backfire big time. Yes, children are still starving all over the world, but making your child overweight won’t help them a lick. (I always wanted to say “Please send them this” while sliding my plate of liver toward my mother.) So never badger your child to clean his plate. In fact, never force your children to eat. Offer healthy choices, and let your child decide how much to eat, within reason. Don’t count calories either. Believe it or not, most kids know how much food their body needs at a sitting and self-regulate their eating.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Hidden Sugar Traps to Keep From Grandkids
It's always exciting, and maybe even a little stressful, when the grandkids come over for a visit. You've got to plan activities, sleeping arrangement...
How can I control the amount of caffeine in my child's diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Parents that wish to limit their children’s consumption of caffeine need to read the labels of foods...
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
These creative and nutritious bites will be a huge hit with the little ones.  Whether you’re throwing a birthday party, cheering on your favorite foot...
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?