What color should my baby's toys be?

Get a few that are black and white. A newborn's vision is worse than a bad referee's, but while they can't see color, they can see contrast because the cells that perceive details and colors (the cones) are kind of stubby for a while. But don't run out and redecorate your entire house with non-color items. By ten weeks, babies start to see big objects and bright colors (red, oranges, and greens, especially), but in the first few weeks, it wouldn't hurt to outfit your crib with a few pandas or zebras. Babies' attention to contrast is one of the reasons why your areola gets larger and darker during pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

Should I Let My Baby ‘Cry It Out’?
Should I Let My Baby ‘Cry It Out’?
For most new parents, sleep deprivation is a rite of passage. At times it may seem like your newborn isn’t sleeping at all. In reality, many babies ac...
How can I make my newborn baby comfortable?
How can I make my newborn baby comfortable? One way to make your newborn baby comfortable is to make...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid. As the mother of a baby, I’ve received lots of gifts, warm wishes (thank you!) … and ad...
What Really Helps Protect Your Newborn From SIDS
What Really Helps Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Helps Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Helps Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Helps Protect Your Newborn From SIDS
The exact cause of SIDS is unknown, but you can still take steps to reduce the risk. It’s not uncommon to find a parent standing next to their sleepi...