What should I do if working out makes me really hungry?

You should be eating a carbohydrate-based snack before a workout and carbohydrates and protein post-workout. This could be a meal or a snack, but it is important to have a post-workout recovery snack. You may find that if you are doing more intense workouts, the hunger lasts beyond the snack. You can try eating more nutrient-dense, lower-calorie foods like vegetables and lean protein, that help you stay full longer. The fiber and water content in vegetables is great for satiety. 
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Finding the right balance between energy expended (calories burned exercising) and energy in from calories in your food is very important. Eating small meals throughout the day is a good approach to keeping your hunger at bay and your body fueled without overeating. Meals that consist of protein and complex carbohydrates are your best option. Keeping healthy snacks with you is also vital. Fruit, veggies, raw nuts and natural energy bars are great options. It is also very important to keep hydrated throughout the day. Drinking plenty of water will keep your system in balance and aid with digestion.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
Could eating pizza affect my vertical jumping ability?
Eating pizza could affect your vertical jumping ability. It probably wouldn’t have much effect o...
What should I eat to fuel a challenging cardio workout?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
To fuel a cardio workout, you need healthy carbohydrates. These souped-up baked potatoes provide ple...
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?