How could a pet improve my aging parent's health?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
The list of the advantages of pet ownership for the elderly is quite extensive. From a purely medical point of view, studies have shown pet ownership to reduce blood pressure, reduce stress anxiety, and to reduce depression. Reduced rehab time after heart attacks has been documented in the pet owning population; coronary disease and cholesterol issues are reduced as well. Pet owning seniors also visit the doctor less often. Muscle strength and flexibility are better. Many of these physical benefits are traced to the increased activity, such as walking, that pet owners undertake with their animals. Walking also keeps them in touch with the restorative aspects of the surrounding community and nature.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

How Friendships Improve Your Health
How Friendships Improve Your Health
In a memorable scene from I Love Lucy, Lucy and Ethel go on stage to perform a song about friendship, only to notice that they’re wearing the same dre...
How does aging affect the body?
Bryce B. WyldeBryce B. Wylde
Biologically, aging is the accumulation of random damage to the building blocks of life -- especia...
How can I prevent health problems as I age?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
You can't change the past … or stop the clock. Growing old is inevitable but some of the health ...
How Does Aging Affect My Muscles?
How Does Aging Affect My Muscles?