What are superfoods?

Manuel Villacorta
There are many definitions of superfoods, but I define superfoods as hardworking functional foods that far surpass basic nutritional content. They are, quite simply, the cleanest, most powerful, antioxidant-rich, phytonutrient-rich and anti-aging foods available anywhere. 
Super-foods are nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits that are functional foods. This means they are the foods filled with the most nutrients and they promote good health and weight control.

Some examples of good super-foods include kale, blueberries, quinoa, flax seed, sweet potatoes, walnuts, garlic, beans, apples, oranges and carrots.

Superfoods are foods that are short on calories and dense in nutrition. In this video, Dr. Oz and chef Marjorie Johnson cook some superfoods like kale and sweet potatoes.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Is Ghee Actually Healthy?
Is Ghee Actually Healthy?
A number of diets, like the Ketogenic (Keto) and Whole30, tout ghee as a healthier alternative to butter. But ghee—which is a common ingredient in man...
What is the nutritional value of chocolate ice cream (1 cup)?
Karen AnselKaren Ansel
The nutritional value of a cup of chocolate ice cream varies from brand to brand so it's important t...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Can I Choose Healthy Takeout Foods?
How Can I Choose Healthy Takeout Foods?