What are superfoods?

Superfoods are foods that are short on calories and dense in nutrition. In this video, Dr. Oz and chef Marjorie Johnson cook some superfoods like kale and sweet potatoes.

Super-foods are nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits that are functional foods. This means they are the foods filled with the most nutrients and they promote good health and weight control.

Some examples of good super-foods include kale, blueberries, quinoa, flax seed, sweet potatoes, walnuts, garlic, beans, apples, oranges and carrots.

Manuel Villacorta
There are many definitions of superfoods, but I define superfoods as hardworking functional foods that far surpass basic nutritional content. They are, quite simply, the cleanest, most powerful, antioxidant-rich, phytonutrient-rich and anti-aging foods available anywhere. 

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Granny Smith’s Cure for Jet Lag and Weight Gain
Granny Clampett on The Beverley Hillbillies touted moonshine as “rheumatiz medicine.” And your Granny may have given you tea with lemon and ginger for...
Which foods can help get me going in the morning?
Christie KorthChristie Korth
Consider keeping a food diary of your breakfasts for one week and conduct an experiment. Perhaps you...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Much Yogurt Do I Have to Eat to Improve My Digestion?