Will insurance pay for my breast reduction?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology

It depends. Typically if breast reduction is covered, it is covered in situations where there is a medical reason supporting the medical necessity of the procedure. Breast reductions to enhance appearance are usually considered cosmetic. But each insurance plan is different. A person considering breast reduction needs to check with their insurance company to understand their policy and exactly what it covers.

For a majority of patients insurance companies do cover breast reduction surgery. Learn more from Dr. Michael Howard on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Insurance may pay for your breast reduction depending upon the amount of tissue that will be removed. Each policy has exclusions, limitations, and requirements of breast tissue removal in gram weight per breast. In general, larger reduction mammoplasties are covered to alleviate back pain, neck strain, grooving of the brasierre along the shoulders, and rashes under the breasts. Documentation and photographs are often required during the preauthorization process. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
What is the most I am at risk to pay for healthcare per year?
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have ...
Who can view my health information?
SharecareSharecare
Health care providers can see your health information as necessary to make sure you’re getting the r...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?