Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?

The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by the recipient's health insurer.

The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) has established a program providing financial assistance to organ donors called the National Living Donor Assistance Center (NLDAC). The program covers travel, lodging, meals, and incidental expenses incurred by the donor and/or their accompanying person(s) as part of:
  • Donor evaluation, clinic visit, or hospitalization,
  • Hospitalization for the living donor procedure, and/or
  • Medical or surgical follow-up clinic, visit, or hospitalization within 90 days following the living donation procedure.
The program will pay for a total of up to five trips, three for the donor and two for accompanying persons. The accompanying persons need not be the same each trip.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Will I be told if unauthorized people see my health information?
SharecareSharecare
If unauthorized people or companies see your health information, it’s considered a breach of your pr...
What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?