Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?

The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by the recipient's health insurer.

The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) has established a program providing financial assistance to organ donors called the National Living Donor Assistance Center (NLDAC). The program covers travel, lodging, meals, and incidental expenses incurred by the donor and/or their accompanying person(s) as part of:
  • Donor evaluation, clinic visit, or hospitalization,
  • Hospitalization for the living donor procedure, and/or
  • Medical or surgical follow-up clinic, visit, or hospitalization within 90 days following the living donation procedure.
The program will pay for a total of up to five trips, three for the donor and two for accompanying persons. The accompanying persons need not be the same each trip.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
What is a flexible spending account (FSA)?
A flexible spending account (FSA), also called a flexible spending arrangement, is an account set up...
What is the most I am at risk to pay for healthcare per year?
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have ...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?