What should a transplant recipient know about health insurance?

Insurance has become the ugly word of medicine. With that said, it is important that you know as much as you can about your insurance coverage if you are going for an organ transplant surgery. How much are your office and prescription co-pays? Do you require preauthorization for appointments with specialists or for tests? Do you know when your Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) is going to run out?

Do you know what your coverage limitations are? If you are enrolled in a new plan as of the first of the year, do you know how your new insurance differs from your old? Do you know if your providers are still in-network? Do you have a coverage cap on your insurance?

As you can see, there are a million questions that can come up in relation to your insurance. The questions above are just the beginning. It is important to make friends with your insurance case manager as there is usually a person assigned to your case when you have been approved for a transplant. They can be an invaluable resource to you should questions arise. Do not leave your insurance correspondence unopened in a pile on the kitchen table. Many patients have done this and been lost when their coverage unexpectedly lapsed or expired because a payment was not sent or a form not completed. Please speak to your social worker or financial coordinator BEFORE you are in a situation where you are out of coverage with no medications.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
What are some things I should know about health insurance after age 65?
There are a number of things you should know about health insurance after age 65. Retiring can affec...
Will I be told if unauthorized people see my health information?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The HIPAA Breach Notification Rule requires most doctors, hospitals, other health care providers and...
What is accidental death insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
Accidental death insurance provides a payout if you die in an accidental way. This could be a car ac...