What is a “self-insured” health plan?

A self-insured plan is a health plan offered by an employer who collects premiums from employees and assumes the responsibility and financial risk of paying the employees' and covered dependents' medical claims. Employers that offer self-insured plans tend to be large companies. They may purchase stop-loss coverage from a reinsurer who agrees to bear the risk (or stop the loss) for those expenses exceeding a predetermined dollar amount. Some self-insured employers contract with an insurance company or third party administrator for claims processing and other administrative services. Other self-insured plans are self-administered. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
What type of life insurance is right for me?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
The two most important things to consider when choosing the right type of life insurance for you are...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?