What are my options if I am pregnant but do not have health insurance?

If you’re pregnant and don’t have health insurance, you may qualify for health coverage under Medicaid. If you meet Medicaid’s income levels, you qualify automatically. If your income is above the Medicaid limit, you may still qualify as “medically needy” because you’re pregnant. You may also be able to get help under other state programs. However, each state is as unique as a snowflake, so check with your state’s department of health to find out what’s available where you live.

Pregnancy is considered a preexisting condition if you do not have health insurance when you become pregnant. If you expect a smooth pregnancy and delivery, you can consider a birthing center, which typically costs less than a hospital. You can also apply for Medicaid, which offers help to low income families if you are eligible. You may also consider a discount medical plan, like AmeriPlan, that help reduce the costs associated with medical treatments.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
What is an annuity?
Ric EdelmanRic Edelman
The term annuity simply refers to a stream of income. Pensions and Social Security benefits, for exa...
Should I get life insurance for my children?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
While some people think getting life insurance for their children is either a waste or somewhat cree...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?