What do I do if I lose my health insurance and I am a cancer survivor?

If you are in danger of losing your individual or group health insurance and cannot afford to purchase another policy, check into other options. For example, if you are covered under Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 (COBRA), you may be eligible to convert your group coverage to an individual plan. Contact your insurance company to find out if you are entitled to a "conversion plan."

There are also health care assistance programs that will help people who have no health insurance, have only limited coverage or cannot afford to pay for the medical services they need. These programs may also be known as patient assistance, medical needs, reimbursement or compassionate care programs. Some of these assistance programs provide both medical services and financial help. Assistance might include finding a health care program you can work with, supporting your application for benefits or providing discounts on health care services.

Providers and resources for health care assistance include nonprofit organizations as well as local, state and federal government programs. Many nonprofit organizations will help you find health care assistance programs and apply for benefits at no charge. There is usually no need to pay for services that provide this type of referral or information.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
SharecareSharecare
Your doctor designates a privacy official who is responsible for making sure your medical records ar...
What is the small business tax credit?
The small business tax credit is a provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPAC...
How does out-of-pocket spending work?
Out-of-pocket expenses are the costs of your health care you have to pay yourself. Your insurance do...
How do I deposit money into the health savings account (HSA)?
Deposits into a health savings account (HSA) usually can be made in one or more ways, depending on y...