What do I do if I lose my health insurance and I am a cancer survivor?

If you are in danger of losing your individual or group health insurance and cannot afford to purchase another policy, check into other options. For example, if you are covered under Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 (COBRA), you may be eligible to convert your group coverage to an individual plan. Contact your insurance company to find out if you are entitled to a "conversion plan."

There are also health care assistance programs that will help people who have no health insurance, have only limited coverage or cannot afford to pay for the medical services they need. These programs may also be known as patient assistance, medical needs, reimbursement or compassionate care programs. Some of these assistance programs provide both medical services and financial help. Assistance might include finding a health care program you can work with, supporting your application for benefits or providing discounts on health care services.

Providers and resources for health care assistance include nonprofit organizations as well as local, state and federal government programs. Many nonprofit organizations will help you find health care assistance programs and apply for benefits at no charge. There is usually no need to pay for services that provide this type of referral or information.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
Can my young adult children stay on my health plan?
Your young adult children can stay on your health plan until they turn 26 years old. The Patient Pro...
What are consumer-directed health plans?
A consumer-directed health plan (CDHP) is designed to raise awareness of healthcare costs and put mo...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?