What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary to treating your problem. So take the time now to make sure you’re carrying a current health insurance identification card. Note your insurance company’s contact information on your medical history sheet. Review your policy to find out if any pre-authorization is required and what you must do if you’re admitted. Also find out which ERs are covered by your plan and whether the company has a phone help line you can call for advice. Be aware, too, that although your insurance company may approve the ER visit, it may not cover the radiologist, pathologist and even the physician who treated you. Discuss what’s covered beforehand with your insurance representative so you aren’t surprised when you receive a bill for your visit.

Be aware, too, that you might get a bill from a physician or service whose name you don’t recognize. Invoices are often processed through a billing company with a different name. But before you pay the bill, be smart and make sure you are paying for services received.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Break the Health Insurance-Stress Cycle
The plot of the TV series Breaking Bad hinged on the premise that overwhelming stress caused by out-of-pocket costs for cancer treatment could turn a ...
Is there a co-pay with vision plans?
There can be. It varies based on the type of plan you have and the services you are taking advantage...
How can I keep records of my out-of-pocket expenses?
Keeping records of your out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses is important if you want to includ...
Who Do You Politiically Align Your Company With?