What is a conversion policy for health insurance?

When your group health insurance ends, many states require employers to offer you a conversion policy regardless of your health or physical condition. When you convert your policy, you remain with the same insurer but begin paying for your own insurance. This is called a conversion plan because you convert from a group to an individual plan.

Conversion coverage is almost always more expensive than the group plan you may have had while employed, and it usually provides fewer benefits. However, it may be your only choice for coverage and is preferable to going without insurance.

Conversion Insurance Policy Facts

• Conversion policies are not available in all states.
  • In some states you must use up any COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) or state continuation coverage that you are eligible for before purchasing a conversion policy.
  • In other states, you can buy a conversion policy immediately after losing or leaving your job.
  • If at all possible, be sure to explore all insurance options as far in advance as possible, including the application process.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What happens to my health savings account (HSA) if I switch jobs?
You are the owner of your HSA, which means you can take it with you when you leave your current job....
How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
SharecareSharecare
Your doctor designates a privacy official who is responsible for making sure your medical records ar...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...