What are the disadvantages of a Fee-for-Service (FFS) health plan?

The disadvantage of a Fee-for-Service (FFS) health plan is that you pay a lot for freedom. First of all, before you even schedule an appointment with a doc, you’re coughing up a higher premium than your buddies with HMOs, PPOs, or POS plans. And once you get to your appointment, you have to pay in full, out-of-pocket for the visit. No discounts here! And if the doc charges more or treatments cost more than what your plan deems “usual, customary, and reasonable,” then YOU, my friend, cover the difference. Finally, the responsibility falls on YOU to file the doctor’s bill to be reimbursed by your insurance company.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What happens to the health reimbursement account (HRA) if I leave my job?
Your health reimbursement account (HRA) is established, funded and controlled by your employer and H...
What are out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services are medical services that are provided by health care professionals and/or h...
Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by ...
What long-term needs should I consider when reviewing my life insurance?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
When reviewing your long-term life insurance coverage needs, you should consider: How many peopl...