What are the disadvantages of a Fee-for-Service (FFS) health plan?

The disadvantage of a Fee-for-Service (FFS) health plan is that you pay a lot for freedom. First of all, before you even schedule an appointment with a doc, you’re coughing up a higher premium than your buddies with HMOs, PPOs, or POS plans. And once you get to your appointment, you have to pay in full, out-of-pocket for the visit. No discounts here! And if the doc charges more or treatments cost more than what your plan deems “usual, customary, and reasonable,” then YOU, my friend, cover the difference. Finally, the responsibility falls on YOU to file the doctor’s bill to be reimbursed by your insurance company.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
What is term life insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
As the name suggests, term life insurance is meant to be held for a specific period of time (the “te...
What happens when my term life insurance expires?
One advantage to term life insurance is that your premium–that is, the amount you pay to your insure...
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?